Villars-sur-Ollon, a beautiful Swiss village in the heart of the Vaud Alps is an easy day trip destination from Lausanne – a city on Lake Geneva and home to the Olympic Museum. Let me share with you all a beautiful travel memoir to this resort town that has an international ambiance. I visited Villars-sur-Ollon, the picturesque countryside of Switzerland, and imbibed a poetic mood. All thanks to its bucolic landscape.
View this post on Instagram
Where to stay in Villars-sur-Ollon
- Chalet RoyAlp Hôtel & Spa – Book your stay here and indulge in a luxury stay. It offers direct access to the ski slopes in winter and to the Villars Golf Club in summer.
- Alpe Fleurie Hôtel & Restaurant – Book your stay here and enjoy the panoramic views of the Swiss Alps. The Hotel Alpe Fleurie is located in the center of Villars opposite the train station for the Bretaye Ski Area.
- Hôtel Ecureuil Villars – If you want to receive a welcome card that allows for year-round free admission at several local attractions, as well as free access to the cable cars from June to October then book your stay here. If you live in Switzerland, then consider this option.
Things to do in Villars-sur-Ollon
After living in Switzerland for almost six years, I learned to indulge in slow travel rather than strict itinerary-based whirlwind travel. I believe it is important what we do, along with how we do it. I cherish balance and pace, leaving open time to create space and spontaneity. So among many things, here are two beautiful hikes that I highly recommend if you are in this beautiful piece of the Swiss countryside.
- Go on a two-hour hike from Col de Bretaye to Villars. During the hike, I enjoyed the wonderful view of Villars-sur-Ollon and the surrounding mountain world. The last kilometers of the hike are interesting. The forest trail that leads down to Villars, gives the hiker detailed information about forest life: flora, fauna, scents, forest professions, and tree species.
- I highly recommend the 4.6 km hike between Bretaye and Villars. Interestingly the 4.6 km distance represents the age of our planet, which is 4.6 billion years! On this informative theme trail, which is interesting for young and old alike, the most important aspects and events of our planet are explained at nine stations. The explanations in English and French are illustrated by means of iron sculptures. I loved reading about the first mammals, photosynthesis, and the origin of humans.
My ode to Villars-sur-Ollon
Hushhhhhhhh!! Don’t speak, forget all uncertainties, keep aside all your problems for the moment. Come, I will take you to a place where peace is the only comfort amidst the silence that breaks occasionally when the soft breeze flows in between the green leaves. Perhaps, appreciation and mesmerizing glance are the only things that we can give back to this beautiful land. It claims nothing though! It only gives unconditionally.
Villars-sur-Ollon – A beautiful Swiss village
It was a sun kissed, Sunday morning and we decided to get drenched in the sun; We started early in the morning for Villars-Sur-Ollon, a beautiful countryside in Switzerland. We took an early morning train to reach there.
A beautiful countryside in Switzerland
When I reached Villars-sur-Ollon, I remembered the fairy tale drawings from my childhood books. Vibrant colors of fall, mountains half covered by clouds and slower paced life took back all the tiredness instantly. The picturesque beauty drew from me an exclamation of delight!
Vibrant colors of fall, mountains half covered by clouds and slower paced life took back all the tiredness instantly. Click To Tweet
A fairy tale Swiss village
After roaming around for some time amidst this fairytale village, we decided to go up to the mountains. We boarded a train once again. The floating feet of our fleeting minds strived to get some rest, but in vain!! We wanted to drink the pleasure of the innumerable stream of beautiful vistas, throughout the journey from inside the glass train.The floating feet of our fleeting minds strived to get some rest, but in vain!! Click To Tweet
The beautiful journey finally took us to our destination. It was cold, but not chilling. Different shades of green, mountains, small water bodies, and abundance of peace and silence were the specific things that I cherished at the top.
Different shades of green, mountains, small water bodies, and abundance of peace and silence were the specific things that I cherished at the top. Click To Tweet
I was smitten by this fascinating landscape so much that I wanted to become a colorful wandering butterfly.I was smitten by this fascinating landscape so much that I wanted to become a colorful wandering butterfly. Click To Tweet
I cherished and relinquished myself to nature completely.
- A journey with Jane Austen along the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland!
- A Voyage across Lake Geneva!
- Fall Foliage in Princeton University Campus
- My long walks in Switzerland
- Mountain Christmas Village in Switzerland
- Charlie Chaplin house in Switzerland
- Beautiful Vevey in Switzerland -a beautiful pearl in the Swiss Riviera
Slowly the evening approached and we bid adieu to this peaceful land, though we stole some of it and stored in our hearts, memories and of course in our digital camera to share with all my beloved readers. After we came down from the mountains, we enjoyed the warmth of a cup of coffee in a small coffee shop in the village. Indeed a memorable end of the sun kissed morning by a romantic evening!!
Get my latest articles in your inbox and join 10,000+ other subscribers!
If you enjoyed reading this article, spread the love!