Exactly a year before on a beautiful evening of 10th Aug, I celebrated my marriage anniversary with Spanish Folk music and dance – Flamenco!. A musical evening that shines bright in my memory.
Guitar, hand-clapping, storytelling through songs and dance are the basic components of Flamenco. Exquisite footwork and intricate hand and body movements of the dancers are unique. The dancers change their expressions and rhythms of footwork many times during a single performance depending on the emotion of the story being told. Flamenco has its origins in Andalucia, an autonomous region in southern Spain. Andalucia is culturally very rich and diverse and has amalgamated in itself influences from Romans, Moors and Castillians over thousands of years.Guitar, hand clapping, storytelling through songs and dance are the basic components of Flamenco. Click To Tweet
Expressions in Flamenco
Sometimes the expressions are firm, and sometimes the dancers get engrossed with the rhythm so much that they spread joy and instill energy inside the viewer’s mind. At some point or the other all of the viewers were tapping their feet. Even I tried their steps, but it was a futile try. Typically Flamenco is divided into two groups. One group of singers and another group of dancers. During the group dances, it was an amazing experience to see the way each of the dancers moved their feet all together. The sound of the shoes has the same rhythm as the music. The group of dancers is usually formed of women. It’s also common to see a couple of dancers-one girl and one boy.
Dance as the narration of a magical story; that recites on lips, illuminates imaginations and embraces the most sacred depths of souls. ~ Shah Asad Rizvi
Another attribute which I liked very much about Flamenco is its special dresses. They are colorful, flowing and feminine. The colored flower clips which the dancers wear on their hair are charming.
Undoubtedly Flamenco is a wonderful art which transmits a positive feeling, energy and happiness to its viewers.Undoubtedly Flamenco is a wonderful art which transmits a positive feeling, energy and happiness to its viewers. Click To Tweet
The performance of the couple -a boy and a girl was lovely. I enjoyed this performance the most.
We spent a beautiful evening amidst music, dance, wine and traditional Spanish food. I loved the emotions and the energy in all the performances. Now, it’s your turn. Tell me, what do you like the most in the performances?
Similar articles from Travel Realizations
- Ballads in Ballet – A rhythmic evening in San Francisco!
- Dance is a life force. Explore Sensuous Belly Dance in Turkey, Flamenco in Spain, Kathak in India and Folk dance in Norway!
- Stories in Light – Art that blooms at night!
- A dance performance by one of the Navahos – a Native American!
- A Melodious Morning in Bergen, Norway!
Join Travel Realizations
- If you enjoyed this post, Sign Up/Subscribe using the form to your right (or below if viewing on your smartphone) to receive posts by Email or…
- Join us on Facebook for regular updates and related articles
- Check us out on Instagram to see what we are up to in photos
- Follow us on Twitter for links to great travel articles curated just for you
- Or share this post with others by pinning on Pinterest!