Today, on 17th October, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty,
let me share a story of a man from a street of Kolkata in India.
One festival night in Kolkata
It was one of the hot and humid nights of the festival called Durga Puja. During this festival the city becomes the center of attraction for many. It portrays creative art throughout the city for five days. It is open to all. Needless to say, millions of people visit Kolkata, the city of joy, to witness the grandeur of art. I was one among them this year. It was 3 am at night and I was busy seeing the art in the city. I decided to go for a cup of lemon tea to pump in some energy inside me.It was one of the hot and humid nights of the festival called Durga Puja. During this festival the city becomes the center of attraction for many. It portrays creative art throughout the city for five days. Click To Tweet
A story of a man from a street of Kolkata
I saw this guy selling lemon tea on a street in Kolkata. I bought one and told him thanks because the tea was just perfect for me and my tired legs. He replied to my thanks in a unique way. I will never forget that.
Also read: The charm of Gwalior, India – The home to world’s second oldest zero!
He told me “In a month, you are going to watch me on TV”.
I said – You mean “I will watch you selling tea?”
He replied back while pointing to my camera – “No, madam! I am a cameraman. You will see me giving interviews for a film that I will shoot.”
I replied – Wow! That’s wonderful.
I encouraged him and came back. I have not seen him on TV yet, but I saw a dream in his eyes. The dream to fight poverty; the dream to become a celebrity.
I realized, in a country like India, where millions fight each day to survive, willpower and a dream to break through all hurdles are the only way to go forward. One must start somewhere and that starting point must be a dream. What do you think?
One must start somewhere and that starting point must be a dream
Similar Articles from Travel Realizations
- Welcome to The Nobel Peace Center in Oslo, Norway!
- A Visit to Nobel Museum in Stockholm!
- The charm of Gwalior, India – The home to world’s second oldest zero!
Join Travel Realizations
- If you enjoyed this post, Sign Up/Subscribe using the form to your right (or below if viewing on your smartphone) to receive posts by Email or…
- Join us on Facebook for regular updates and related articles
- Check us out on Instagram to see what we are up to in photos
- Follow us on Twitter for links to great travel articles curated just for you
- Or share this post with others by pinning on Pinterest!